First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church in Puyallup is a member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and holds to the following truths:
In the Trinity:
- God is the creator of the universe.
- Christ is the incarnation of God on earth.
- The Holy Spirit is the presence of God in the world and in the believer.
The Way of Salvation is in Jesus Christ:
- God sent his son that the world might be saved through him.
- Christ’s death was offered as sacrifice for our sins. His resurrection shows the power of God over sin and death.
- Whoever believes in Jesus as Savior and Lord receives the gift of eternal life that begins now.
- Sin is forgiven in Christ and life is renewed in him.
- God grants the gift of grace, which enables us to gain the faith necessary to believe and live a new life.
The Road Map to Life in Christ is found in the Bible:
- The Bible is the authority for life and practice.
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God.
- The Bible IS the Word of God.
- The Bible is meant to be studied, read devotionally, and used in worship of God by individuals and the Church.
The Church is the “Body of Christ” here on Earth:
- The Church is for everyone.
- The Church offers a community of believers who help one another grow in Christ.
- Preaching, teaching, mission, and community are found in the Church.
- The two sacraments of Baptism and Communion are administered in the Church body.
Presbyterians Govern Themselves by:
- A representative, democratic form of government.
- The session is the elected governing body that oversees the business of the Church.
- Elders are members of the session.
- Deacons oversee the caring ministries of the Church.